THERMAL WATERS

 

The city owes its popularity to the thermal waters which are very rich in  precious minerals that  still today boast their reputation in international  mineral water therapy.

Montecatini’s waters are  various and have different designations:  they have beneficial effects on the liver promoting purification, on gall-healing dysfunctions, on chronic constipation; and moreover they promote the elimination of wastes through the kidneys and replenish the salts that are lost  during sport.

Besides the traditional thermal waters and mud baths  you can also find the most innovative  methodologies for beauty and  well-being : massages, body and face treatment , body shape treatments , relaxation or well-being.

  Montecatini thermal waters  were probably  already known and exploited in Roman times, due to the discovery during the restoration works  of some Roman votive statues in 1788.

The first studies about the use of waters date back  to the beginning of the 15th century where the miraculous proprieties were highlighted  describing  precisely  the possibilities of therapeutic use. Already in 1477 the Thermal Baths were equipped with efficient structures.

Since the 16th century Montecatini underwent a period of decadence that lasted  over two centuries.  The city was regenerated by the Grand Duke Pietro Leopold of Lorraine, the real founder  of the actual  Montecatini Terme, who committed skilled plumbers to the arrangement of the springs  and the  construction of the  Bagno Regio in 1773,  Terme Leopoldine in 1779 and  Tettuccio in 1779. The city was also regulated by  a precise city plan, where  the actual  arrangement of the thermal structures and the long avenue  - “lo Stradone de' Bagni “- today Viale Verdi were drawn.

Since  the second half of the 19th century , a  great impulse to the development  of the thermal centre of  Montecatini came from both the construction of the state  church (1833),  and the rise of the train station  (1853) – the actual  centre of Montecatini.

The demographic and city development  intensified  at the end of the 19th century with the development  of the tourism facilities  and the construction of big hotels among which , is the  “Gran Hotel La Pace".